2017 Program Info
SELECTION PROCESS AND CRITERIA
Up to 15 applicants will be invited to participate in the fellowship. PF/PCA staff determines eligibility. Diversity will be cultivated to strengthen the program.
An anonymous peer panel will make selections according to the criteria outlined below. Emphasis will be placed on selecting artists who:
- Have creation of new work as a primary artistic focus (as compared to interpreting existing works)
- Appear poised to transition to a new phase of professionalism in his/her artistic career
- Could benefit from setting professional goals and building upon marketing, fundraising, and financial management skills
- Could benefit from a new network of professional artist contacts.
There are more worthy artists than there are spaces in the program. Not being invited to participate should not be viewed as a verdict on your work or your suitability.
Artists invited to participate in the fellowship will be required to attend and fully engage in the Fellowship at Pittsburgh Filmmakers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- For this application process, a practicing/professional artist is defined as a person who creates, on an ongoing basis, original works of art within an artistic discipline, and is pursuing this work as a means of livelihood, or a way to achieve the highest level of professional recognition.
- All applicants must reside in the Pennsylvania counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington, or Westmoreland.
- Applicants must be generative artists (i.e., artists who create original works of art such as writers, composers, choreographers, visual artists, multi-media artists, filmmakers, and theatre makers.)
- Applicants should be practicing artists who have been working professionally for at least 5 years.
- Applicants must be able to attend the Creative Capital weekend workshop and all Flight School sessions.
- Artists of all disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- Artists currently enrolled in a degree-granting program (through December 2017 are not eligible.)
STIPEND & ASSOCIATED COSTS
Artists will receive a stipend of $500 upon completion of the Flight School Fellowship. Actual cost of attendance, including meals and stipend, is estimated to total more than $2,000 per participant and is supported in 2017 in part by The Heinz Endowments.
APPLICATION & GUIDELINES
Applications must be submmitted online by June 12th, 2017 at midnight. Late applications cannot be considered.
Please review the Application Information Packet which includes the application questions & guidelines.
- May 11: Info Session
Pittsburgh Filmmakers, 7pm
Mini Melwood (Room 210)
- September 8-10: Creative Capital weekend workshop at Pittsburgh Filmmakers
- September 12-14: Entry Coaching Sessions
- September 18: Session 1, 6 - 9 pm
- September 25: Session 2, 6 - 9 pm
- October 2: Session 3, 6 - 9 pm
- October 9: Session 4, 6 - 9 pm
- October 16: Session 5, 6 - 9 pm
- October 23: Session 6, 6 - 9 pm
- October 30: Session 7, 6 - 9 pm
- November 12: Final Presentation Night, City of Asylum
- November 27: Action Plans Due
- November 28-30: Exit Coaching Sessions
(Note: Flight School participants will be expected to attend the initial retreat, an entry interview, and every session of the program. Participation by peers is a vital aspect of each fellow’s Flight School experience, which means that any participants’ absence is detrimental to all of the fellows.)